Indoor Air Quality: Why You Need to Filter the Air in Your Home
Did you know?
- We drink 1 liter of water a day
- We eat 1-2 kg of food per day
- We breathe 15 to 25 kg of air, invisible air!
- We spend almost 80% to 90% of our time indoors
- Indoor air can be 50 times more polluted than outdoor air
- A large part of the population lives and works in areas where particle levels exceed the WHO guideline values for PM2.5 (10µg/m3/year)
It is scientifically proven that poor air quality contributes to various diseases whose health consequences are far from negligible. Beyond the impact on public health, it causes a drop in productivity as people get sick due to poor air quality.
Prolonged exposure to ultrafine particles can cause respiratory and cardiovascular diseases and increase the death rate for people living in heavily polluted areas.
Below PM2.5, particles are more dangerous because they penetrate deeper into the alveoli of the lungs. They cross the barrier of blood vessels and diffuse into the blood to reach and affect the organs (heart, liver, and brain).
Children are more sensitive to air pollution because:
- Relative to their weight, children breathe more than adults
- In children, the airways and lungs are still developing
- The immune system and the defense system of children are immature; they also have a different detox speed
- Children are more prone to asthma
- Children spend more time outdoors, playing or playing sports
It is therefore absolutely vital that a home with children living in it has purified air all the time.
Should You Be Concerned About the Energy Cost of Air Filtration?
Yes! It is possible to save energy, but never at the expense of filtration efficiency. Your building’s ventilation and associated equipment account for nearly 70% of its overall energy consumption and this is often overlooked.
But it is worth it. Good filtration for higher indoor air quality boosts health and productivity. And this is proven:
- A study carried out on 54 schools in the USA showed that student performance increased by 13% when the air treatment system was improved (Source: EPA.gov)
- At Polaroid, 35% less sick leave if ventilation is increased (Source: PubMed.gov)
- In a call center, the productivity of the operators increased by 10% with a better supply of fresh air to the CTAs maintained (Source: PubMed.gov)
Air filtration’s main purpose is to lower the concentration of airborne particles:
1. From the outside
The outdoors is loaded with pollutants that find their way indoors, into living spaces (housing, offices, shops, operating rooms, etc.) or processes (factory, production, etc.)
2. From the inside
This area can also generate and be loaded with pollutants that go outdoors too, affecting the natural environment that needs to be preserved.
If you do not filter your air, these pollutants settle in the air or disperse into your home and appliances. This leads to:
- Bacterial risks
- Performance losses (the flow drops because the pressure drops increase)
But about all, pollutants that are not filtered will go through your lungs!
- The risks to your health are significant
- Your lungs become the filters
- And the health issues that arise costs thousands of dollars to fix
Request an Indoor Air Quality Expert to Improve the Air You and Your Loved Ones Breathe
Since we all spend a lot of time indoors, and the quality of air directly affects the quality of our lives, health, and productivity, it is absolutely necessary to use the air filtration solutions available to improve the quality of the air you breathe.
These may not be obvious right away but it’s essential. There are allergies, asthma, and other respiratory problems that could arise and if you’re not paying attention, you’ll spend a lot of money on treatment when you could’ve just cleaned your air for much less.
At Precision Air Solutions, we make it so that air filtration for better indoor air quality is easy and accessible to everyone. There isn’t a huge cost barrier that only the wealthy can afford it. No, anyone can afford to purify their air — it just takes a little financial commitment and maintenance and you can breathe easily.
Not only with breathing be more healthy for you and your family, but it will also ensure that 99% of pollutants in the air don’t get to your lungs. So, you can live a more comfortable and healthy life.
Call the indoor air quality technicians at Precision Air Solutions for questions or to book an appointment.
We’re available for swift response at:
- Pleasant Hill
- American Canyon
- Walnut Creek