Mini Split Air Conditioners: A Beginners’ Quick Intro
What some people don’t seem to know is that you can have a cooling unit without ductwork. That’s what mini-split air conditioners are for. They are designed to operate without the need for a duct channel.
They have two parts to them: an outdoor compressor unit, and an indoor wall-mounted evaporator unit.
The outdoor unit draws in air and delivers it to the indoor unit through a small, flexible tube. The indoor unit heats or cools the air as requested and delivers it into your home. No need for ducts.
Mini-splits are easy to install, requiring nothing more from you or your home than an hour of work and a three-inch hole in your wall.
There are quite a few reasons why you should consider using a mini-split AC in place of a central or a window unit.
- They take less power than central heating or cooling units. So more value for your money. You don’t have to ration your use as much because they run much longer than central ACs for the same energy cost.
- These units run independently. That means each room with a unit can be any temperature you want it to be. You don’t like Matt’s or Sam’s idea of the perfect temperature? No problem. Retreat to another room and make it as warm or cool as you want.
- They have a remote control function. If that isn’t a deal-maker, nothing is. No need to get up to adjust the temperature. Just pick up the remote and the atmosphere is your oyster. Want it cooler? Want it natural? You got it.
- They are easy to install. The lack of need for ducts makes things so much easier. All you need are the units and good, professional workers able to give you the quality of work you deserve as the customer. That’s where we at Precision Air Solutions come in.
Of course, it’s not all sunshine and roses with mini-split ACs. You do have to accommodate a few things you might be uncomfortable with.
- They are not cheap. A mini-split AC can cost up to 30% more than central ACs and even double the price of window units. You’ve got to pay for the advantages. In the long run, though, mini-split ACs are easier on the pockets.
- You need a way to drain the outdoor unit. Atmospheric humidity turns into water on cooling. This is collected and drained from the units by a hose outlet. Over a day, the AC can produce up to five gallons of water.
But the water is not all waste. You can use it for chores like washing or watering your plants. A few people might claim that the water is safe for drinking. We will not advise that, just to be safe. The water is outdoors most of the time.
If you want to get a mini-split AC, you will find no better company to set it up for you than Precision Air Solutions. If you live here in Vallejo, CA, you can reach us at (707) 860-4822 or book an appointment online anytime.